1. Keep at least 2 copies of your files in separate places.
2. Local copies (stored at your home or work) are more secure than those on cloud services and social media sites.
3. Stay informed. Read the Terms of Service before you begin uploading files on a website to see what you may be compromising. Remember that certain sites delete you file names and descriptions and compress to a lower quality.
4. Facebook is for sharing, not storage.
5. Recommended storage enviornments: Personal server, external hard drive, computer, thumb drive, cloud account.
6. Check-in on your storage environments yearly to confirm that your files are still accessible. Transfer files to a newer environment if necessary.
Fixity automatically reviews stored files and reports if anything has been moved or changed according to your desired schedule. A great way to check an external hard drive that you're using for your personal archive, or a dedicated personal archiving folder on your computer. Available for Mac and Windows.