About This Topic
Welcome! This guide provides resources to help you research Southeast Washington, DC neighborhood history. Use the tabs above to find your neighborhood.
Ask a Washingtoniana Librarian
Have a question related to DC history? Email your question to email@example.com or call us during operating hours at 202-727-1213. Special Collections provides high-quality reference service to customers, connecting them to appropriate information resources - both for queries within our collections and through referrals.
- Last Updated May 21, 2014
Resources to accompany the 2013 DC Reads book selection, "Frederick Douglass in Washington, D.C.: The Lion of Anacostia".
25 views this year
- Last Updated Dec 3, 2014
Resources to jump-start your Washington, D.C. history research.
114 views this year
- Last Updated Nov 25, 2013
A literary journey through the history of the United States
53 views this year
- Last Updated Nov 19, 2013
The homepage for DC Public Library Libguides.
314 views this year
Barry Farm: Past & Present
This documentary from filmmaker Tendani Mpulbusi explores the rich but turbulent history of the Barry Farm neighborhood in Ward 8 of Washington, DC. The once prominent Southeast neighborhood currently faces the same economic and social challenges experienced by communities throughout the District. From the Humanities Council of Washington, DC.
Neighborhood Research in Special Collections
Make the Washingtoniana Collection of the DC Public Library your first stop for neighborhood history research!
Neighborhood history resources in Washingtoniana include:
- Neighborhood Bibliographies - Secondary sources to help you get an overview of the history and development of your neighborhood
- Vertical Files - Subject folders filled primarily with news clippings related to neighborhoods, streets, houses and local institutions
- Property Research - Plat maps, building permits, assessment directories, city directories and census records
- DC Community Archives - Archival collections of local organizations and individuals
- Photograph Collections - Photo collections include street scenes, historic houses, places of worship, schools and businesses
Other Local Resources
Daily Evening Star. May 16, 1853.