File naming tips
A common threat to personal digital archiving is not being able to find files. Good file naming practices help us move and find files throughout our lives.
1. File names should be consistent.
2. File names should be obvious.
3. File names can include a date, series title, and/or series number.
4. Do not include special characters such as ?!*#% in your file name.
5. Do not create file names that are too long. We suggest no more than 25 characters.
6. Use _ instead of spaces to seperate words.
7. Format dates as YYYYMMDD.
8. Consider saving a .txt file in a folder that explains your file names.
Bulk Rename Utility is a free file renaming software for Windows. Add date/time stamps, replace numbers, insert text, convert case, add auto-numbers, process folders and sub-folders....plus a whole lot more!
ExifRenamer. For Mac users. Renames your digital images by the date they were taken. Allows you to add prefixes and suffixes.
Stanford University Libraries file naming recommendations and case studies
The University of Edinburgh on naming conventions